Summary of my 4 days’ trip to Medan/Lake Toba with robby medan driver a local tour guide:
Day 1 – City tour in Medan. Followed by aromatherapy massage at Gandara Spa (1 and a half hrs – Rp300,000 / S$31) – Good
Day 2 – Journey from Medan to Brastagi Highland (2 and a half hrs). Some parts of the road are bumpy. Mostly single lane road. Weather in Brastagi Highland is a nice cool 20 degree Celsius. En-route, stop at a durian stall to try their local durians. So-so only.
– Local fruit market – sells different varieties of tropical fruits – Good
Day 3 – Sipiso-Piso Waterfall – a stream of water falling from a great height in the highland. Walk down a path of broken steps (about 20 mins) to have a closer view of the Waterfall. Must visit.
– Tongging – beautiful, picturesque scenery with a panoramic view of Lake Toba.
– Simarjarunjung – enjoy the view of nature and Lake Toba. Nice quiet place.
– Depart Simarjarunjung for Parapat, a town on the edge of Lake Toba (journey – 1 hr)
Day 4 – Ferry to Samosir Island located in the centre of Lake Toba (45 mins). Frequency of ferry is every hour. Must visit.
– At Samosir island, visited Tomok, a village of the Batak people. See their traditional roofed houses and the ancient stone tomb of their Kings.
– On the island, there are many shops selling souvenirs, clothes and shawls made by the locals. Can bargain. Took ferry back to Parapat.
– After lunch, journey from Parapat to airport (4 hrs) with a stopover at a local products shop selling their local tidbits/snacks. Again, it’s mainly single lane road and the only road to the airport. So traffic can be quite heavy. Passed by farms, rubber and palm oil plantations. Occasionally, see a cow or some chickens by the roadside.
As we went during the low season, everywhere is less crowded, from our stay at the resorts to places of interest to dining. Overall, a very good and relaxed trip.